Thursday 14 July 2011

Segue/Fugue

In the quieter moments of solitude, he would crave company so zealously, his blood vessels turned to worms, unwanted guests he felt compelled to rip out of his body. They crawled from cavity to inner cavity, making themselves at home, telling him it was such a pleasure to ensure he wasn't lonely. He broke his skin with his monstrous claws, but did not have the heart to drive them out.

-

"Tell me," she said, "why it was that you left again?"
"Why I left? I'm afraid I can't say. I don't know why I left. It just felt like I had to."
"...I don't believe you. You always had reasons."
"Yes. Did. I always DID. One day I decided to leave, and deciding to leave was reason enough for me to leave."
"Even if it meant it would change who we were?"
"Not all changes are conscious decisions, my love. Sometimes, things change in the blink of an eye, in the moment an atom splits, or a trigger slips. Change occurs as and when it does, and sometimes, it is only the privilege of hindsight that lets us recognize change for what it actually is. Or was."
"And so you changed?"
"I didn't change for the sake of it, but yes. I had changed. And I didn't understand it, either. Still don't, in fact."
"Why are you here again?"
"Because, my dear. I held all the keys to your heart. I just couldn't find your chest."
"And now?"
"Now....it seems I have found the right chest, but none of the keys would like to fit."
"And so?"
"I am at a crossroads. Either I need to find other keys, or I stand at the wrong chest."
She trembled for an instant, before composing herself. "No. There is only one key that fits here, and I hold it for someone. I do not think it is meant for you."
He stood quiet. "Then I am so sorry to have imposed. Please, allow me to find my way out."
"No."

-

They had stayed, waiting for change. They spent their times disassembling each other in the hopes of finding the right parts to fall into the right sequence, trying to make the key fit the lock.

Change came, and quietly decided to stay with them. By the time they saw it, it had been too long, but they were happy with what they had lost, and happy with what they had built anew.

-

I don't understand it.
Neither do I.
Then we agree.
It would seem so.
I don't want to lose you.
Neither do I.

-

No comments: